One of my clients is upgrading some servers. The procedure we have took some time to get to current state, and we found some potential problems, so decided to write more about it.
On 23rd of February, Heikki Linnakangas committed patch:
Replace checkpoint_segments with min_wal_size and max_wal_size. Instead of having a single knob (checkpoint_segments) that both triggers checkpoints, and determines how many checkpoints to recycle, they are now separate concerns. There is still an internal variable called CheckpointSegments, which triggers checkpoints. But it no longer determines how many segments to recycle at a checkpoint. That is now auto-tuned by keeping a moving average of the distance between checkpoints (in bytes), and trying to keep that many segments in reserve. The advantage of this is that you can set max_wal_size very high, but the system won't actually consume that much space if there isn't any need for it. The min_wal_size sets a floor for that; you can effectively disable the auto-tuning behavior by setting min_wal_size equal to max_wal_size. The max_wal_size setting is now the actual target size of WAL at which a new checkpoint is triggered, instead of the distance between checkpoints. Previously, you could calculate the actual WAL usage with the formula "(2 + checkpoint_completion_target) * checkpoint_segments + 1". With this patch, you set the desired WAL usage with max_wal_size, and the system calculates the appropriate CheckpointSegments with the reverse of that formula. That's a lot more intuitive for administrators to set. Reviewed by Amit Kapila and Venkata Balaji N.
I had to deal with this question, or some version of it, quite a few times. So, decided to write a summary on what one could (or should) do, after data is in database, and application is running. Namely – setup some kind of replication and backups.
What to use, how, and why? This is what this post is all about.
I was working today on some updates to client database. While doing it, I figured it would be simpler if I saw all “codenames" and ids of rows from dictionary table – not so big. But it was bigger than my screen – I have only 90 lines of text on screen, and there were ~ 200 rows of data in the table. So I started thinking – how to show this (codename, id) into more than one column, in psql.
Just thought I'll share a “fun" story. Friend reported weird bug – OmniPITR reported that xlogs are sent to archive, but they actually weren't.
After some checking we found out that he was giving custom rsync-path (–rsync-path – path to rsync program) – and the path was broken.
In this case – OmniPITR was not reporting error, and quite happily was working under assumption that it works OK.